Friday, May 11, 2007

I cooked for the first time since 1987

Last night I made potato soup. Now that the Big Orange Baby steals all my food from me, the Big Orange desires to eat certain things. Normally, I just make Ali cook for me but I refuse to make her cook me things she can't eat. Every time I cook, Dave says it is the first time. This is not all the way true. While we could probably count the number of times I have cooked something since we have been together on one hand, it is not the first. Liz suggested we make a list of every time so when he says that we can refer to the list and prove him wrong. Emily noted, "you have a blog". So here is the list of everything I have ever cooked since I have known Dave. It is short.

1. Tuna noodle casserole. I don't remember what year. Maybe 2004ish
2. For Ali's birthday I had to make an "audition" chocolate torte a week before the actual event so she could make sure I wasn't incompetent.
3. The actual birthday chocolate torte.
4. Liz and I made pumpkin spice cookies. Liz mostly made this while I bossed her around which is how we work in the kitchen probably much to her dismay.
5. Liz and I make sweet potato wedges for every holiday meal. That is our only job before. She actually makes them by herself for all the Ohio meals because I am not at her house. I would help her if she wanted me to though. I do the dishes afterwards.
6. Chicken and noodles because we moved to NC and can't go to Nancy's Diner on Thursdays and I feel really bad about that. I never made it again even though I really should because it was actually pretty good. I even had to merge together a few recipes which is a huge feat for me.
7. Once I tried to make buckwheat noodles so Ali could have Yaki Soba. Big disaster. All of it went in the trash because it was so gross. I really shouldn't mention this. But it is the effort that truly counts.
8. Potato soup. Everyone who ate it said it was good. Liz and I rock. So there. We also made boston creme pie but that was from a box and so it doesn't count.

Look at that Dave, I made it onto two hands.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

If you don't count thumbs, you completely covered both hands. And the soup was delicious. Good work.

chunkymonkey said...

Way to go Karen! And each dish you have made is memorable. All those famous chefs are probably jealous.

Anonymous said...

Also, you give me a hand in the kitchen sometimes, but I probably won't ask you to chop many things because it's not usually your best work. The chocolate torte was delicious and your stirring abilities are divine.

Karen B said...

Yes, you are right. I should never go near a knife. That is why Liz does all the chopping when we cook stuff. Dishes really are my thing though.

Elizabeth said...

its good that i can chop because doing dishes really isn't my thing.

karin said...

I usually do MOST of the cooking but I usually insist on doing the dishes because Bryan did them wrong on purpose and has lost the privilege to do the dishes, except for Mother's Day, my birthday, when I am out of town, when I am sick, our anniversary...I guess I let him do the dishes more than I thought.

Congrats on the meals. If you want EASY meals to make ask Em because I have passed on MANY to her.

Shawn Macomber said...

1987 was an okay year, I think. Probably not as good as a chocolate torte. You should tell Alice, however, that "you have divine stirring abilities" is the kind of compliment they give the retard sympathy hires at Deep South buffet joints.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure which is better: cooking or dishes. I tend to think cooking simply because I hate doing the dishes (but I don't always love to cook either). I especially don't like to do the dishes this week since our dish washer broke early last week (this would explain our recent mad rush to restruants). Forunatly for me, Devin is almost always open to whatever I want to eat since I'm picky and because I'm pregnant with the pollywog.