Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Dinner Bells

Somebody stole Dave's identy and bought lots of incriminating crap. They somehow got his debit card number (he still has his card and we have never ever used it online) and bought a plane ticket, $1,100 of gift cards to Bed Bath and Beyond, paid their cell phone bill and had some phone sex. I called Bank of America and I must say they responed very efficiently. They had already reversed half of the transactions and they are crediting the remainder next business day. I, being the investigative type of person, decided to call all the places they bought stuff. It turns out that all the companies were already on to me when I called and refused to give me information for fear that I might try to handle the thief myself. I wouldn't have. I would have given the information to the police. The real reason I wanted to find out who it was is that I have seen those lovely commercials on identity theft where the identity thieves appear to be talking through the person that has the accounts. If I am to force Dave to do an impression I think I should know a little about the person that stole his identity. All the companies did say however that they weren't very smart about what they did and will easily be caught. Buying a plane ticket was really stupid. So was paying their cell phone bill for an existing account. Plus, now we all know how pervy he/she is for buying phone sex.

6 comments:

Scott Carrier said...

Yikes, that's awful. Glad to hear the bank is taking care of it. Identity theft is all too common these days.

Huh, I guess that person really likes Bed, Bath & Beyond.

There was a story on NPR this afternoon about a new web crawler dubbed 'angel' (or something like that) which scans the web in search of sensitive, personal data. However, instead of using that data maliciously, it will send an e-mail to the individual indicating the source of the data so the individual can take corrective measures to have it removed. Cool stuff!

Ann said...

There is no shortage of stupid thieves out there (I refer you to Katie's post of 2 days ago). I suppose they steal because they are too dumb to get a job?? Paying your cell phone bill with a stolen credit card?! ARGH!

I'm glad BofA is giving you your money back.

Unknown said...

That's really funny. I never really took id theft very seriously, because half of the time, _I_ don't even want to be me. And see, with the wonderful bank, no harm done!

Karen B said...

Who knew BB&B was such a scary place?

Anonymous said...

I'm leaving a lone comment in the hopes that new posts will arrive after Christmas. Sigh...

chunkymonkey said...

I can't get over the cell phone bill! That is plain stupid, but in the spanish sense, so I really mean estupido!