Sunday, October 14, 2007

BBQ Angst


Dave got a new grill for his birthday. It brings a whole new joy to Hunk-a-Chuck Sunday, much like the new apron he got from the Righters to commerate this blessed weekly occasion. What is really the most funny is that Dave has a new grill log. I win and I lose. I, his anal retentive wife, push Excel spreadsheets on people like it is crystal meth. I believe they are magical and addictive. I will always format the first one for free. Now, he is using it to perfect his meat preparation. I don't hate pork and beef but I don't love it as much as he does. Liz and I like to pretend that Dave's log entries go a little something like this...

Date: 10/14/07
Weather: Sunny
Wind: Lite at about 10 mph
Temp: mid 70's
Meat: Pork (10 lbs)


Dear BBQ Grill Log,

It has been a rough day today. Karen and Liz still complain about the vast amounts of meat I prepare each Sunday. Every week I tell Liz, "This is the week
if ever to change your life forever and try a succulent piece of non poultry meat". Every week she rebuffs me with a scoff and some Wendy's chicken nuggets. When will she see the light? I think about reading passages to her from my new BBQ cookbook that I got for my birthday to help her see the error of her ways but she just won't listen.

On another note, I am a little concerned. I just love the new grill so much that I'm worried when Leah is born I won't be able to choose between it and her. I know she is my daughter but she doesn't smoke anything.

I heard a new joke today... An aged farmer and his wife were leaning against the edge of their pig-pen when the old woman wistfully recalled that the next week would mark their golden wedding anniversary. 'Let's have a BBQ party, Homer,' she suggested. 'Let's kill a pig.' The farmer scratched his grizzled head. 'Gee, Ethel,' he finally answered, 'I don't see why the pig should take the blame for something that happened fifty years ago."

Well anyhow, I have to go check the temp or that Boston Butt will never be done.

Until next Sunday,

Dave

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave's Hunk-a-Chuck Diary,

I heart the wonders of your pig and beef deliciousness. Keep an eye on that wind will you.

Love Ali

karin said...

We have beef and pork on Saturdays to go with the College Football games, both of which I like but do not love as much as my husband. I enjoy that Dave has a log, Bryan just has rub recipes that I have put in a ziplock in my recipe box. Jill has started looking forward to college football season because of the smoking of meat that goes along with it.

Unknown said...

The log is great, useful, funny, and a little nasty, even.
Karin, do you have to keep Bry's recipes in a ziplock so they don't get tarnished by the non-grill recipes?

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave,

I have not had the opportunity to "heart" your pig. But, the next time I find my way to NC, I will likely do so, especially since we don't own a grill all our own.

Elizabeth said...

i think that we should weekly post from dave's bbq log. next weeks topic....the trials of having to serve turkey at fake thanksgiving when you can smoke five kinds of pork butt.

karin said...

I think Dave should smoke turkey for Fake-Thanksgiving- it is DELICIOUS!
Emily, I do not like little scraps of paper with rub recipes (which I will never use) floating around in my recipe box.